For this project I was assigned with the task of redesigning a product that I felt could use improvement. The objective for this project was to create a new package design that appealed to a specified target audience for a product in need.

 

By browsing through the aisles at a local grocery store, I was able to locate a project that I felt could use a redesign. I chose the product “Cherry Man Jumbo Maraschino Cherries”. Below you can view the original packaging design.

After choosing the audience I researched and analyzed to determine a target audience. The intended target audience for this product redesign is older women, primarily ages 65 and above. Through Media Mark statistics I was able to determine that the majority of people who grocery shop on a regular basis and that the demographic that most enjoys canned or jarred fruit is older women. These statistics rationalized my chosen target audience.

 

Largest Media Mark Numbers for Canned or Jarred Fruit Used in the Last 30 Days (Heavily 7+):

Women: 103

Age 65+: 117

 

The analysis of target audiences for this product is what originally lead me to believe it needed to be redesigned. The original packaging appealed mainly to children and had an immature and youthful appearance. The big idea that I came up with for the redesign of this packaging was implementing a more mature and Homestyle looking design that appealed more to my identified target audience, older women.

 

The first step I took when beginning my product redesign was finding inspiration. One of my favorite places I go to find inspiration when taking on a new project is Pinterest. Check out my Product Redesign Examples Board on my Pinterest account here: https://www.pinterest.com/alyssaerindyck/package-redesign-examples/

 

After finding some inspiration and getting my creative juices flowing I began brainstorming ideas for the design and color scheme. I landed on a topic appropriate, cherry and nature related, color scheme of red, off-white, and a light khaki color (colors and hex codes listed below).

In the process of redesigning the product, I realized that I would have to redesign the brand logo as well, as the logo was a main contributing factor to the original playful childish look. I decided to continue the brands choice of having a purely textual logo, but changed the font to a more elegant style. See the comparison below.

I made my first rough draft in Illustrator and then went about editing and refining the design with the critique and input of my peers and came up with the following design.

The final step was to actually construct and finalize the product with its newly designed packaging. So the first thing I did was go to the store and get all the needed supplies. The needed supplies included: fabric, twine, superglue (to glue the fabric to the lid), and goo gone product (to remove the original sticker).

Then I sent the design to a local printing business to have the design printed on mactac paper.  Color almost always varies from the computer screen to the printed version, so I printed numerous different versions experimenting with the color so that the final printed design matched the coloring of the chosen fabric. Lastly, I assembled the packaging. I took of the previous label, removed all adhesive, washed the bottle, and applied the new sticker. I then super glued the fabric to the container lid and tied around it with the twine. This was the result.

However, after constructing the first packaging with this label and asking for even more critique I received the following feedback: the “with stems” and “NET WT” text is too small and thin, and there is a crease in the bottom left corner of the label application. I then went about making those subtle adaptations by turning the font into a regular weight, rather than thin, and although I didn’t have room to increase the font size immensely I was able to increase it by three points. I also took extra precaution when applying the label and did a couple test runs to assure there would be no creases in the final version. This is the result of my final redesigned product as a flat label and fully constructed in comparison to the original packaging.

Final Flat Package Design:

Old Product Packaging:

New Product Packaging:

By making the packaging more mature, and “homey” my target audience will be able to relate more with the branding, respect the brand, and appeal more to the design. In addition, the new packaging is appears more “high-end” and is more universal, so although it does appeal to my target audience, it does not alienate them and will therefor increase sales.

Here is the Pitch Book for this product redesign: 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s