5 Reasons You Should Care About
Imagine a world without Ski resorts…
1. The amount of ski resorts in the United states has depleted from 546 to 470 in the last two decades. That’s nearly fifteen percent! Your favorite resort could be next.
2. More than 600 ski areas have closed due to decreased snowfall since 1950. Since then, only 302 new ski areas have opened. That’s 298 ski areas lost in only 67 years.
3. In the last fifty years, the average length of ski season has decreased by a full week. And it is only predicted to continue decreasing and at a more rapid rate. We can’t afford to lose any more of our favorite season!
4. Worldwide, ninety-five percent of ski resorts utilize snowmaking to counteract the scarcity of natural snow received. Snowmaking may be keeping our large resorts open, but is extremely expensive and the smaller resorts cannot afford it. Not to mention, we all know it isn’t nearly as good as the real stuff!
5. Not only are our precious ski resorts having to adapt in order to fight to survive due to climate change, our animals are too. We as society can adapt to keep them both alive. Save our snow, to save their snow.